Monday, May 19, 2014

Long Weekends are Pretty Awesome


Good Morning! We are just coming off of a long weekend here in Denmark. We spent the entire weekend eating ice cream, spent Friday at the summerhouse, we explored Helsingør with friends on Saturday, and I also swung on a hammock for most of Saturday afternoon. Oh, and of course there was some baking!



It was Store Bededag or Great Prayer Day here on Friday, it is a day that the Church of Denmark introduced to consolidate a few other minor holidays that the Church observed. For Store Bededag, Danes like to eat a cardamom spiced bun called a hveder. Traditionally, people buy hveder on Thursday and eat it on Friday when all the bakeries are closed for the holiday. I decided to bake my own hveder rather than buy them from the bakery this year. I used this recipe from Claus Meyer and I think they turned out really well! We shared our hveder with the fiance's parents and some friends. To eat them, slice the buns in half, toast them and spread on some butter!

On Saturday, we spent the day in Helsingør where our friend M grew up. Another Danish city to check off of my list! We took a walk around Kronborg and the city center and walked through some of the colorful and very old apartment buildings in town. Helsingør is really lovely, it is a cute little city surrounded by water. We took a really nice walk down by the beach and through some forest areas as well. Later in the day, M made us a lovely dinner and we also baked and enjoyed this raspberry mousse cake for dessert. The fiance and I also took turns on M's parents' hammock. I think we need one at our place!

Yesterday was a bit quieter around here because it was raining most of the day. The fiance and I ran some errands but mostly spent the day inside reading and researching places to go for our honeymoon!


What did you get up to this weekend? It should be another sunny week here in Copenhagen so I'm looking forward to spending more time outside! I hope you have an awesome week! 

4 comments:

  1. Loving your photos. That does indeed sound like a pretty awesome weekend.

    I went to a music festival on Saturday and met up with some friends for a book exchange in a nice little park on Sunday. It was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book exchange! That sounds fun, did you get any good books? :) Hope your week has been off to a great start!

      Delete
    2. Yeah it was really fun! A pleasant way to spend a Sunday. I got Nation by Terry Pratchett and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I think it'll be a good way to branch out and read a few things that I wouldn't have chosen on my own. We're planning on doing it once a month, so it'll be neat to see what new books people add into the rotation. I might suggest a bookstore field trip sometime later this summer to get some good new books in the mix.

      Was just looking at your photos again. They're really nice. What kind of camera do you use? I have a DSLR just sitting around waiting to be fixed. I keep saying I'm going to fix it and start using it, but something else always comes up that I want to spend money on first. I know it'll be worth it though & might not cost that much to fix. When I got it check out before they said it wouldn't take much.

      I hope your week is going well!

      Delete
    3. I wish I had a DSLR! This is actually really embarrassing but I just use my iPhone 5 and edit my pictures through the app VSCO. I also have a small Canon point and shoot but I haven't used it in awhile. Now you know my secret ;)

      Hope you are doing great today!

      Delete