Thursday, January 23, 2014

Spiced Apple Butter



Sometimes I feel like Med Kærlig Hilsen is turning into a food blog. I really enjoy cooking, baking, and testing out new recipes. It's just funny because I never thought I would post so much about things I make in the kitchen! Sometimes I dream about going to pastry school. How fun would that be? Anyways, here we go again! Another recipe for you today!



I bought a huge bag of apples at the grocery store this week and I thought about making an apple crumble but then I remembered seeing all these recipes for apple butter. I had no idea what apple butter was so I did some research and read up on different recipes. Apple butter is basically applesauce that has been cooked much longer, to the point where the sugar in the apples caramelize and turn the sauce a deep brown color.

I cooked my apple butter for about two and a half hours and I just couldn't stop licking the spoon. The apple butter is sweet and full of spice and just so smooth and velvety. We ate it warm over some skyr panna cotta for dessert and this morning I mixed it into my oatmeal. Many people use it as a spread on bread, you can bake with it, and I've even seen some recipes where people use it to glaze meat. No matter how you eat it, I'm sure you'll really enjoy this apple butter!



Spiced Apple Butter (adapted from Sing For Your Supper)
Makes about 500ml of apple butter, I had enough to fill two 1/4 litre Weck jars

2 1/2 pounds or 1.1 kg of apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
juice from half of a lemon
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract

Combine all of the ingredients except for the vanilla extract in a large pot and cook, covered, on low heat for about 2 hours and stir occasionally. You will see the apples cook down and get softer and softer as time goes on. When apples have become extremely soft and the liquid is almost all gone, stir in the vanilla extract.

To get a really smooth apple butter, use an immersion blender or a regular blender, and puree the apples until it is completely smooth. I wanted to thicken up my apple butter even more so I placed it back on low heat with the lid off this time, and cooked it for half an hour more.

When your apple butter has reached your desired thickness and caramelization, place them in some jars or containers and let it cool to room temperature before placing it in the fridge. Apple butter will keep well in the fridge for at least two weeks.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this recipe yesterday; took long to cook but...i am LOVING it! it tastes amazing with that hint of ginger and the vanilla gives the final special touch! An amazing spread for bread and knekkebrød (i am living in Norway..so scandinavian all the way :)). Thanks for sharing :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe Natalia! I just finished the last of my apple butter this morning and I think I may need to go out and buy some more apples later today ;) Have a great day!

      Delete