Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gluten Free Buckwheat Crepes


I love crepes, particularly sweet ones. I made a crepe cake for my birthday brunch and the fiance and I make crepes for breakfast every once in awhile on the weekends.

Now that I'm not eating gluten, I've had to find a new recipe for my weekend crepes. I bought a bag of buckwheat flour a few months ago when a gluten free friend of mine told me about some buckwheat crepes she had made and I knew that French galettes are usually made of buckwheat flour. So, I did some searching for some gluten free buckwheat crepe recipes. I knew that the addition of buckwheat would make the crepes taste a little nuttier and earthier. However, taste isn't the biggest thing for me. The thing I was most concerned about was texture. It had to feel like a regular crepe. And this gluten free crepe does! Each crepe cooked perfectly. They were crisp on the edges and they browned nice and evenly. We ate our crepes with a warm berry sauce and some skyr whipped cream (basically the same berry sauce and cream from my crepe cake!). Seriously, crepes are the best way to start the weekend! 



Gluten Free Buckwheat Crepes (barely adapted from Food Fanatic)
Makes 16 crepes 
(I halved the recipe and made 8 crepes, but I'm giving you the amounts for a full recipe)

1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour, I used Jeanne's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
2 tbsp sugar
3 eggs
11/2 cups milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled (salted or unsalted, for crepes and pancakes I usually just go with salted)

Sift together the flours and sugar. Then beat in the eggs, milk, salt and vanilla until the batter is smooth. Let the batter rest overnight in the fridge, or for at least 30 minutes. (It's best if you can let the batter rest overnight.)

When you are ready to make the crepes, melt your butter, let it cool for a few minutes before whisking it into the batter. 

Place the pan on the stove over medium heat and melt a little smidge of butter to coat the pan. When the pan is hot and the butter is starting to bubbly, hold the pan by its handle, pick it up and pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan. Slowly tilt and move the batter around so that the pan is evenly coated. Place the pan back on the heat and cook for about a minute or two, or until the edges of the crepe are crispy and the top no longer looks wet. Flip the crepe with a spatula and cook for another minute or so. Repeat until all the batter is used up!


No comments:

Post a Comment