Saturday, July 13, 2013

Vanilla Skyr Panna Cotta


I had a wisdom tooth pulled out on Monday afternoon and according to my dentist, I was only supposed to eat cold soft foods that day and for a few days after that. I was like "even dinner?!" and he was like "you can have some ice cream, a smoothie, or yogurt" etc. etc. I texted the boyfriend right after I left the dentist's office and I was like "I CAN ONLY EAT ICE CREAM FOR DINNER!". Pretty much my dream come true.

I like yogurt on its own and blended into smoothies, but I also thought it would be fun to find other ways to eat it since I was going to be having it for a few days. I love panna cotta and I'd seen some recipes for yogurt panna cotta's floating around so I made some with skyr. It had the same soft texture as panna cotta with cream, but it didn't feel as heavy or rich. I do like the creamier version of panna cotta made with whipping cream but this yogurt one is also nice in its own lighter way.

***I've been making this panna cotta with 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream and it makes the panna cotta so much creamier and richer. Love this combination! - January 31, 2014



Vanilla Skyr (or Yogurt) Panna Cotta (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
Makes 4 servings.

2 tbsp water
11/4 tsp unflavored and powdered gelatin
1 cup skyr or yogurt of your choice
1 cup milk, heavy cream, or a combination of the two (I just used milk)
2 tbsp vanilla sugar or white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Place water in a small bowl. Stir in gelatin and set aside until the gelatin softens, about 15 minutes.

In a large bowl, whisk the skyr with 1/2 cup milk until combined. In a small saucepan, bring the other 1/2 cup of milk and the sugar to a simmer. Stir in the water and gelatin mixture (it will dissolve immediately) and remove from the heat. Whisk this hot mixture into the skyr, then stir in the vanilla extract.

Pour mixture into glasses or cups (if you would like to unmold them, oil the glasses first with a neutral tasting oil) and place in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours. Panna cotta can stay in the fridge for two or three days. Serve with fresh fruit and enjoy!

I totally ate this for breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Yum - it looks delicious and looks so easy. I'll have to give it a go someday :)

    - Kimmy

    ReplyDelete