Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Banana Bread Take Two



Rather than making my usual banana bread this weekend, the boyfriend and I decided to try a gluten free/grain free/paleo banana bread recipe. I bought some coconut flour from ICA in Lund a few months ago and I wanted to test it out. (I love the gluten free, lactose free, food allergy section at the grocery stores in Sweden and how readily available alternative products are over there. Something that is really missing over here in Copenhagen!) I prepared the banana bread a bit differently than what the recipe said, and I was a bit afraid things weren't going to work out as the mixture looked really dry. (I think coconut flour just absorbs a lot of liquid, and really quick!) However, everything came out wonderfully and we have been enjoying some super moist banana bread around here!

Gluten Free, Grain Free, Paleo Banana Bread (adapted from Deliciously Organic)
Makes 1 loaf

6 eggs
1/3 cup coconut milk (I used regular skim milk)
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas but feel free to add another one!)

Preheat oven to 165C or 350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or butter it up a little.

Mix coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl and set aside.

In a larger bowl, combine the eggs, milk, honey, extract, melted butter, and the mashed bananas. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture slowly and stir until everything is combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan.

Bake for 40 to 55 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

Do you have any favorite gluten free/paleo recipes? I have a really great recipe for a gluten free mousse cake that I will have to share with you all soon! If you try out this banana bread recipe, I would love to know what you think! 

2 comments:

  1. This recipe just made my life! Yum to the power of yes please!

    ReplyDelete