Saturday, November 10, 2012

(Amazing) Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies



I think I have found the recipe for the best chocolate chunk/chip cookies, ever. The cafeteria at my high school sold the best chocolate and double chocolate chunk cookies and I have been trying to find a recipe that will produce the same soft yet slightly crisp edges that my high school cafeteria perfected. Seeing as I have never failed with a Smitten Kitchen recipe, a few weeks ago I tried her recipe for Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. And they are amazing. Really. Life has been changed. This will now be my new go-to recipe for chocolate chunk/chip cookies.


Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
Makes about 2 dozen cookies, from what I can remember...

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vanilla sugar (or white sugar)
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract (I cut down the original amount of 1 tbsp because I used vanilla scented sugar)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks (I cut up a bar of chocolate, otherwise use chips)

Preheat oven to 325F or 165C and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla/white sugar until well blended.

Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until the butter sugar and egg mixture is light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.

Stir in the chocolate chunks by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough onto baking sheets leaving 3 inches between each cookie.

Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes (I usually do 10) or until the edges are lightly toasted. I like to underbake my cookies so once the bottoms and edges are set, I take them out even if the top/center doesn't look completely ready. Cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.



Please go make these, like now.

No comments:

Post a Comment