Sunday, September 30, 2012

Banana Cupcakes With Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Frosting

I have been wanting to try out the combination of banana cake and peanut butter for a few weeks now and I finally got around to it earlier this week. The peanut butter frosting and the chocolate coating together tasted like a Reese's peanut butter cup. It was amazing! According to the boyfriend, it may be one of my best cupcakes yet!


For the banana cupcake, I used my good ol' banana sponge cake recipe. I like this recipe as it is lower in sugar compared to other recipes I have seen. You can get the recipe for the banana cake here. And now for the best part, the frosting!



Peanut Butter Frosting (adapted from Annie's Eats)
Enough to lightly frost 18 cupcakes 

113 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp heavy cream (I just used milk as that is what we had)

Combine the butter and peanut butter in a medium bowl and beat on medium-high until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar. With the mixer on low speed, add the vanilla and the milk just until everything is incorporated. Increase the mixing speed to medium-high and whip until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Scoop frosting into a piping bag and pipe away!

Chocolate Coating 
I just played this by ear

200g semisweet chocolate
2 tsp of vegetable oil

Melt chocolate in a double broiler or in the microwave. Add the vegetable oil once everything is melted and mix to combine. (The vegetable oil or you may use butter as well, keeps the chocolate from getting too thick. This way, you'll get a lighter chocolate coating instead of a really thick one.) Pour into a deep cup or bowl and dip cooled frosting into it! (I placed my frosted cupcakes in the freezer for 5 minutes before dipping and 5 minutes in the freezer after dipping.)

And there you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment